Saturday, December 25, 2021

Foundation for Love


I’d barely stepped onto the set when any courage that I had mustered beforehand had completely left me. The camera crew were getting everything set up to capture the first shot, a few actors already in place and ready to go.

I took a deep breath, and it took everything I had not to spin on my heel and run away. I felt like I didn’t belong there, like I was an imposter. My heart began to race as I looked around, but the sight of one man in particular made the world around me freeze in place.

Tom Hiddleston was looking to be going over a script with someone else, his blue eyes lighting up as he spoke. A small part inside wanted me to go over to him, to at least say hello and introduce myself. Though, before I could put any actions into motion, a woman placed herself right in front of me, blocking my view of the most handsome man I’d ever seen.

“You’re the new makeup artist, yeah?” she asked, her hands on her hips. Her greyish brown hair was up in a bun, a few strands managing to escape to give it a messy look. Her brown eyes were focused on me, waiting for me to answer.

I struggled to spit out an answer, but finally my mind was able to form a proper sentence. “Y-Yes. Yes!” I nodded quickly, “Yes, I’m Sarah Moon. Today’s my first day.”

“Great. Follow me.” She grabbed my wrist and led me towards the different trailers that were set up.

I decided to glance over to Tom again, but this time his eyes weren’t focused on the paper before him. They were on me, matched with a soft smile. When he noticed I was looking at him, he gave me a sympathetic wave, which I tried to return but the woman only pulled harder on my wrist.

“You’re late, you know,” the woman spat out. “You were supposed to be here an hour ago. Now everyone’s had to wait and we all will have to stay late today to make up for it.”

I chuckled to myself as we entered the trailer, but my hand flew over my mouth when I saw her glaring at me once again.

“What on Earth are you laughing at?”

“I-It’s just, you know, ‘makeup, make up,’ we’re in the makeup trailer…” When I noticed she wasn’t laughing, I held my hands behind my back and looked down at the floor, embarrassed. “I’m sorry.”

“You should be. Sarah, is it?” She started towards one of the chairs towards the end, “If you want any kind of career as a professional makeup artist, then you best start paying attention, and getting here on time. We won’t wait for you every time, you know.”

“It won’t happen again,” I muttered, unable to raise my face from the floor. “I’m sorry.”

When the woman returned, she placed a clipboard in my hands. It was a chart, detailed with extremely specific instructions for what makeup and sponges to use. “You’ll be taking care of Tom for the duration of filming -- Loki wig, makeup, everything. Any questions about what to use and how much are on that chart. Follow that and we won’t have any problems, yeah?”

My green eyes shot up to look into her brown ones. “Are you sure? I mean, not that I don’t want to, I just -- are you sure?”

“I’m sure. Everyone else is already taken care of. I’ll go let him know you’re ready and you can get started.” Before she left, she showed me where everything that I could ever need was located in the trailer, from foundation to sponges, even the makeup removing cleansing wipes. I took another look at the chart to make sure I knew where everything would be, and before I knew it, the trailer door closed. I was alone.

I started to pace back and forth, from one end of the room to the other, trying desperately to calm myself down. First day and I’m told I get to do the makeup for the man of my dreams, I thought. What are the odds?! Although, I should try to keep calm so he doesn’t think I’m just another fan that would’ve done anything to get in here.

The sound of the door opening pulled me from my thoughts, and I was frozen in place when I saw it was him. It was Tom. The soft smile he’d given me before returned to his face, only this one seemed a bit brighter.

“Hello, you must be Miss Moon?”

I slowly nodded until I came to my senses. “Um… yes. Yes! Yes, I’m Sarah Moon, but you can call me Sarah.” I offered my hand to shake his, “It’s an honor to meet you, Tom.”

He shook my hand before heading toward a chair, “Likewise.” He saw the clipboard on the vanity and he chuckled as he sat. “Ah, the infamous chart. I see it’s been given to you now.”

“Y-Yeah,” I rubbed the back of my neck. “She said it was so I knew exactly how to do everything.”

“Have you had a chance to look over it yet?” He turned in his chair, locking his eyes with mine and smirking slightly. “And I mean properly look it over?”

“Um…” I smiled sheepishly, scratching the back of my neck. “No. N-No, not really. No.”

With a soft chuckle, Tom grabbed the clipboard and handed it to me. “Why don’t you take a look and tell me what you see?”

I nodded as I took the chart and looked it over. “I don’t see anything I wouldn’t have already done. The only thing I see that’s different is that you have a slight latex allergy, so I’d have to use a different type of sponge when applying anything.”

“Exactly.” He placed a hand on the clipboard and lowered it slightly so I could look at him once again. “Does seeing all of that help you feel more relaxed at all?”

I nodded again, letting out a deep breath I wasn’t aware I was holding in. “It does. Thank you very much, sir.”

“Please, call me ‘Tom.’ I insist on it.”

I began with the foundation, making sure to grab the right sponge before I made my first mistake. I was a bit surprised with how steady my hand was when I applied his makeup. However, I had to stop for a moment when I noticed he kept smiling at me. I giggled, “What? What is it?”

“I’m sorry,” his smile became very shy, but his eyes were sparkling in the light. “It’s just that it’s refreshing to see someone take their time to make sure the details are perfect. My last time in the chair, the artist had missed a few spots which ended up making me look odd in front of the camera.”

“That explains why the post for the job was so new, then.” I set down the brushes and went to get the famous black wig. “I have a feeling you have some other questions for me, I could see the gears turning behind those eyes of yours.”

He laughed a bit, making me smile even brighter. “Well, I guess I’m caught. I was curious about what made you want to become a makeup artist, Sarah.”

“I found myself playing with my mother’s makeup quite a bit as a child.” I gently placed the wig on his head, making sure to set it perfectly. “So, as I got older, I decided to run with it. I started with my parents, my friends, and when I got better, I did the makeup for the actors of my school’s drama club whenever they’d put on a play. I was okay staying behind the stage, because I got to help in so many ways.”

“I’m glad you were able to find your calling, darling, and you’re doing a fantastic job.” Tom looked up at my face, noticing the soft blush that had crept onto my face. “Sarah, what’s wrong? You’re all red -- is it because I called you ‘darling?’ I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to make you uncomfortable.”

“No!” I rested my hand on his, “It’s fine, Tom. I promise.” I realized where my hand was and I quickly pulled it away. “S-Sorry. Um, you should probably get heading to the costuming trailer. I don’t want to make you any later than you already are.”

“As much as I’d love to stay, you’re right, I should get going.” He rose from his chair and took my hand, kissing the back of it. “Until next time, Sarah Moon.”

“Until then, Tom Hiddleston.”

As the day progressed, some of the other actors and extras had to come in to get their faces touched up, but Tom must have tried his best not to get his messed up, considering I hadn’t seen him since that morning. I sat in a chair, playing on my phone as the day came to a close. The sound of a door opening and closing caught my attention.

“Am I too late to get my makeup taken off by the great Miss Moon?”

I smirked at the familiar British accent. “Never too late, Mr. Hiddleston. Come, take a seat, and I’ll get started.”

He sat next to me, smiling sweetly. “I’m at your mercy, Miss Sarah.”

I giggled as I gently removed the wig, taking it back to its resting place. “So, how did today go on set?”

“It went well,” he said as he closed his eyes, relaxing as I started on removing my handiwork. “Although, I’m not looking forward to the long night ahead of me.”

“Is that so?” I made sure to use a gentle touch when cleaning his face, “May I ask why?”

“One of the perks of working on two movies at once, I guess.” He opened his eyes and looked up at me, a small twinkle as he smiled softly. “Loki by day, Prince Hal by night.”

I took a small break from working on him and brought over a small cup of piping hot tea from the trailer’s kitchen. When I handed it to him, he seemed a little surprised that I’d do something like that for him.

“That’s gotta be rough, though, Tom.” I got a fresh wipe and went back to work. “Two movies at once - that can’t be easy, especially for just one person. Trust me, any sleep you can get will be totally worth it.”

“No one’s brought me a cup of tea before,” he muttered. “Not without me asking, anyway.” He looked back up at me, “Thank you, Sarah. That was very kind of you.”

“It’s no problem, Tom. I don’t mind. Plus, you’re gonna need the caffeine, for sure.”

He sipped at his tea as I finished the removal process, until he was back to his normal face. “There we are. Good as new.”

“Thank you again, darling.” With a soft sigh, he rose from his chair and turned to face me, “See you in the morning?”

“Bright and early.” I offered him my hand, “I wish you luck tonight. You’ll do great.”

He took my hand, but instead of a handshake, he brought the back of it to his lips and placed a gentle kiss upon it, his eyes locked with mine. “Until then, Miss Moon. Have a good night.”

I felt the familiar blush creep up my neck once again, but my smile was more relaxed this time. “You too, Mr. Hiddleston.”

With that, he stepped out of the trailer, and thus, my first day was done.

The next morning, I was getting my space organized when I heard the door open. I fully expected it to be another extra getting the most basic look I could do, or even that woman who dragged me to the trailer yet again, but when I looked to see who it was, it was my new friend, with extremely evident bags under his eyes.

“Morning, darling,” he mumbled, rubbing at his eyes to try to get the sleep out of them, but to no avail.

I sighed when I watched him stumble to my chair. “Tom, you didn’t get much sleep last night, did you?”

“Sleep? What’s that? Never heard of such a thing.” As soon as he sat down, he stretched and let out a yawn so intense it popped his jaw. “Oof.”

“Good to know Mr. Gentleman has some snark to him, too,” I chuckled. “Why don’t you just relax? I’ll grab you some more tea then get to work. Okay?”

He mumbled something else before allowing his eyes to close for longer than a simple blink. Unfortunately, that small decision was enough to let him fall asleep in my chair, his head slightly tilted down as small snores came from him.

I brought the tea to the vanity and smiled at the sleeping man. So, I placed a napkin over the cup and started working on Tom’s makeup. “You poor man,” I muttered as I finished up the last bits of his look. “Two projects at once, and barely any sleep. You’re definitely going to be a whipped puppy once all of this is done.” I stepped away to grab the wig, but as I came back, he jolted himself awake.

“Huh? What?” He asked, disoriented. He noticed his updated reflection, “Oh no, did I fall asleep?”

“That you did, and you certainly looked like you needed it, so I’m not upset.” I placed the wig on his head and started the finishing touches.

“Why are you being so nice to me?”

I froze when I heard that. Why would anyone not be nice to him? He’s one of the kindest souls I’d ever met. “What are you talking about?”

“Ever since we started this project, some people on the set keep looking at me like I’m the devil or something.” He slumped in his chair a bit, “I don’t think I did anything wrong, but what if I did?”

“Tom, I think you’d know if you did something wrong. I mean, you are supposed to be Loki, God of Mischief and Chaos. Maybe they’re afraid of you, or even just trying to not get pranked by the Prankster God himself.” I stepped away, proud of my handiwork. “There. What do you think?”

“Afraid? Of me?”

I looked at the mirror, into his eyes, and I couldn’t recall anything where I’d seen him so upset. I instantly regretted every word I said, “Tom, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to make you upset. I’m probably way off the mark, anyway, so you don’t have to listen to me. I just babble anyway--”

“Why would they be afraid of me?”

His voice was so soft, small like a child’s. I brought a chair around and sat next to him, taking his hand in mine. “Honestly, I think they’re just jealous of you.”

“Jealous? Of me?” His eyes brightened a bit, a hint of hope behind them. “Really?”

“Of course! I mean, look at you; you’re the Tom Hiddleston. You have more talent in your little finger than they have combined. You’re sweet, kind, smart, amazing.” I scooted a bit closer, a smirk on my beat red face, “How does the quote go? Ah, yes. ‘O, beware, my lord, of jealousy; It is the green-ey’d monster, which doth mock. The meat it feeds on.’”

Tom chuckled softly, giving my hand a gentle squeeze. “Ah, Othello.” He brought my hand up and kissed the back again. “Thank you, Sarah.”

“Always. Now, you should get to costuming before our butts get handed to us on a silver platter.”

He nodded and rose from his seat, “Yes, Miss Moon.”

Once the door to the trailer closed, I couldn’t help but feel horrible for making him feel so badly. I wish I’d never opened my big mouth, I sighed as I mentally cursed myself out. But, it’s not my fault the others were giving him dirty looks. Although, I am the one who tried to make sense of them, and I only made him feel worse.

The day passed by as the one before had, slow and quiet. When it was Tom’s turn to get going, he came into the trailer, somehow looking more tired than he had in the morning. “Oh, dear Lord, I feel like I was left on the side of the road.”

“If you’re this bad on your second day, I’m afraid to see how you are a month from now.” I jumped up and went to his side, gently holding his arm. “Come here, sit down. Relax.” Once he was in the chair, he yawned so hard, instead of a simple pop, his jaw cracked. “Why don’t you rest for a bit while I clean you up? Get a little sleep while you’re here.”

“Thank you,” he said, his eyelids already fluttering shut. “That would be greatly…” Before he could finish his sentence, he was out like a light.

So, I let him sleep while I removed his makeup and wig, returning him to normal, but instead of leaving his face completely naked, I tried to cover up those designer bags under his eyes. When I was done, I rested my hand on his shoulder, slightly shaking him. “Tom? Hey, it’s time to wake up.”

He groaned a bit as he woke up, his eyelids looking quite heavy. “Is it time to go home yet?”

I giggled softly, “Almost, darling. You have to be Prince Hal tonight, then you can sleep to your heart’s content -- at least, until I see you in the morning.”

His eyes looked up at me under those hooded lids, looking quite like a miserable child. “Promise?”

“I promise, Tom.”

He nodded slightly as he stood from his chair. “Thank you, Sarah. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“It’s a date,” I smiled.

I watched him close the door behind him as he left, then I began cleaning up so I could go home. I was almost done when I heard the trailer door open behind me. Curious, I turned to see who it was, and instead of seeing a face, I was met by a large bear hug, from an incredibly sleepy bear.

“Have I told you yet that I appreciate everything you do for me?”

I laughed as I hugged him tight, “It’s my pleasure, Tom. I appreciate your effort to make me feel welcome, especially when I was so nervous yesterday. Now, go to your other project. You don’t need to make anyone upset.”

“Yes, Miss.” He placed a gentle kiss on my forehead, then turned and left.

The next two months went by and every day we were on set, I’d let Tom catch up on a bit of sleep while in my chair, and I’d do my best to help him hide the dark circles under his eyes. We’d talk, we’d laugh, and to my amazement, we were getting closer than I realized. My day would instantly brighten whenever I saw him, and I often found myself waiting until the next time we’d see each other.

I was falling for him, but a voice inside made me afraid he didn’t feel the same.

We were getting into the final weeks of filming when Tom came into the trailer one morning. We greeted each other as usual, but I raised an eyebrow when I saw his hand was hidden behind him.

“What do you have behind your back, Tom?” I asked, mildly concerned.

He shrugged, smiling like a mischievous little boy. “Oh, nothing.”

This time both of my eyebrows went up, waiting to hear the truth from him. He sighed softly, his smile vanishing as he brought his hand in front of him. One of his fingers was covered in what looked like a cast.

“Tom!” I quickly set everything down and ran over to him, holding his hand in mine as I inspected the damage. “What the hell did you do?!”

“I-I guess I was a bit too tired last night.” His smile somewhat returned, this one looking more sheepish. “Sword got me, and I had to go to the hospital. Both directors know what’s happened and I have the next couple of days off from filming.”

I exhaled heavily through my nose, calming down. “At least now you’ll have some time to finally catch up on your sleep. Lord knows you need it.”

Tom scratched the back of his neck, a soft blush spreading across his face. “Actually, that’s why I’m here. Sarah, I would be honored if you’d join me for dinner tonight.” He watched as my eyes became the size of saucers, and his smile faltered. “Is-is that a no, then?”

I started to panic, “No! No, I-I mean ‘no’ as in it’s not a no. You know?”

“Um… maybe?”

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, trying to calm myself yet again. “Tom, I’d love to have dinner with you. I just -- is this more like a dinner between friends type of thing, or is it more--”

“Well, I was hoping it would be more of a date type of thing.” His eyes began to focus on the floor, “I understand if you don’t want to, though.”

An impulse came over me, so instead of doing what a normal person would do and talking things through, my hands caressed each side of his face, forced him to look at me, and I pressed my lips against his.

When it clicked in my mind what I was doing, I pulled away, breaking the kiss - until he pulled me closer and kissed me back, softer and sweeter than what I’d done. I let my eyes close and allowed myself to give in, even though my heart was still racing in its cage.

After a moment, we both pulled away, blushing and smiling messes.

He chuckled softly, “Would you believe I’ve been wanting to do that for a bit now? I just never had the courage to make the first step until today.”

“I’m in the same boat, Tom. I was afraid you wouldn’t feel the same way about me like I do you.”

He nodded slightly, “I thought the same. I’m glad I was wrong, though.”

With another kiss, I sent him off so he didn’t get in trouble for staying on set when he wasn’t needed. We agreed he’d pick me up after my day was done, and I watched as he closed the trailer door yet again.

I chuckled to myself as I organized my things. Best. Job. Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment