Monday, September 20, 2021

The Chosen One?

      

I was ushered through a dimly lit hallway, the ceiling lights not doing much to help us see our way. I turned my head to see the two heavily armed guards behind me, noticing they looked the same as the two in front of me. As my anxiety levels began to skyrocket, I pulled at my long, blonde hair, certain my dark green eyes were showing my worry.

There was nothing significant about the hall, and even if there was, I wouldn't be able to tell. A bright light came from our destination and I could feel my chest beginning to ache. Where are these men taking me? I thought to myself. What could they possibly want with me?

As we entered the room, my eyes took their time to adjust to my new surroundings. I found myself in a make-shift throne room, a middle aged man sitting in a beautiful chair on the other side. The two guards in front of me stepped to the side as the two behind me shoved me forward. I ended up losing my balance and falling to my knees before this man, although I couldn't bring myself to look up at him.

"Look at me, Lady Annabelle," the man boomed, his voice echoing throughout the room. "Face me so I may properly look upon our chosen one."

My head whipped up at that, my eyes meeting his almost instantly. "Say what now?"

"Young lady, I am Sir Richard, and you've been brought here today so you can be properly told of your destiny." The man stood from his throne and came closer to me, then he proceeded to kneel in front of me. "Lady Annabelle, you are our last hope. A great evil threatens to destroy our world, planning on killing us all unless we provide a champion. Your father, Sir Thomas, was our last champion, and he died in order to protect us. Now, it's your turn."

"I'm sorry, what?" I stood up rather quickly, glaring at this "Sir Dick" guy. "My father was murdered in a convenience store twenty years ago. He wasn't any 'champion,' he was just a man."

"Sir Thomas was the best champion we've had, since your great-grandfather, and you are next in line to protect us from this threat!" Richard swiftly stood up, towering over me. "Your bloodline swore to protect us from any evil that came our way. This evil is here, and only you can save the world. You, Lady Annabelle, are the chosen one."

"I refuse," I stated simply, holding back my anger.

There was a moment of silence as tension filled the room. Richard looked to his guards, then to a man who I could only assume was his advisor. "You know," he sighed as he scratched the back of his neck. "I honestly didn't make any plans if you refused."

"Seriously?" My anger boiled over, my hands clenched into fists as my knuckles turned white. "You expected me to lay my life on the line for a world that has done nothing to prove that it's worth living on?! I have two daughters at home, Sir Dick, and they need me much more than you do. I won't make the same mistake my father made, if he did supposedly do as you say. Screw you and your 'great evil' bullshit. I'm going home."

Richard desperately looked to his advisor, "What do we do now?"

The young man with a clipboard looked from his boss to me, then back to the dick. "Let her go home, I guess. We'll have to see if another will rise to the occasion. It's her life, we shouldn't force her to lay it on the line if she doesn't wish to."

"Exactly! Thank you!" I turned around and went back down the hallway, only the thoughts of my girls filling my mind. "Mama's coming home."

The doors slammed behind me as they shut, burning that bridge as I left.

Chosen one. Yeah, right.


No comments:

Post a Comment